A few weeks before Christmas, I decided to make the little one a children’s book. It was an entirely new process for me and I didn’t have much time to get it done. I hadn’t really drawn since I was a little kid, and I hadn’t picked up a paintbrush in my adult life.
I make my living coming up with ideas, and have a good feel for design and aesthetic, but I never thought that I was “artistic”. The process was as interesting and lesson filled as the end result. After coming up with a narrative, a framework and characters, I spent what seems like a mini fortune buying paper, pens, crayons, chalk, paint, erasers, drawing pencils, glue, brushes, x-acto knives, etc. I dove in and kind of lost myself in the work.
There were plenty of mistakes along the way, but surprisingly not as many as I thought that there was going to be at the outset. It felt good to push past mental barriers and try something totally new. The book was powered by love which I have in abundance, conceptual thinking, and some hidden layers of artistic ability that I was able to tap to get it done. I learned a big lesson in the process of completing this project and I hope to keep exploring and growing that hidden talent.
I’ve chosen a few pages of the book of the book prior to scanning them and laying out the type: